The premium you pay is determined by different factors. The good news is, there are actions you can take to reduce your premium and simultaneously protect your home:
- Evaluate your coverage every year to make sure it reflects the current value and condition of your home, and takes into account major improvements or purchases.
- Implement preventative measures like an alarm system, main line backwater valves, water sensors, alarmed sump pumps, and tankless water heaters. You should also perform regular maintenance to your plumbing, your electrical and heating systems and your roof.
- Ask your broker about discounts you may be entitled to – you might qualify for additional discounts if you are mortgage or claims free.
- Avoid a cancellation penalty by waiting for your renewal date if you want to switch insurance companies.
- Some coverage options might allow flexibility. Your broker can help you determine precisely the level of coverage you need.
- Paying your premium annually can help you avoid interest charges or service fees.