We have all noticed the prices are increasing on groceries. Almost each visit to the store you may notice a price has gone up. With the cost of living being so high already here are some ways to save money on groceries.
1. See what’s on sale. Look at grocery store flyers, newspaper ads and online to see what items are on sale.
2. Make a list. Your grocery list should include the ingredients that you need to make healthy meals and snacks.
3. Meal Plan. Make a meal plan for the week, this will help you with making your list and help you not make impulsive purchases.
4. Get to know the food prices. Write down the regular prices of foods you buy often. This will help you figure out which stores have the best prices and if you are getting a good deal on sale items
5. Stock up on sales. You can save ten percent, twenty percent or more by stocking up on grocery items that are on sale.
6. Make Meals from Scratch. Making your own meals from scratch is one of the biggest ways that you can save money.
7. Cut your own fruit. Pre-cut fruit is handy, but they also charge for that service.
8. Go Generic. Name brands products are more expensive and often have a generic alternative that is less expensive.
9. Show without the kids. This will save money on the inevitable request for a high sugar, low healthy item that the kids will inevitably ask for.
10. Do not shop hungry. Enough studies have been done on this. Your appetite will then dictate your shopping list and not your planning.
11. Do not buy water. Bottled water is expensive. Check how your city water compares with bottled water, you may be surprised.
12. Shop with cash. By shopping with cash you are saving the percentage of interest that your credit card. Not a small savings if you do not pay your balance off each month.
13. Look at expiry dates. Choose foods with an expiry date that will give you enough time to use it and prevent waste.
14. Use coupons. Coupons will help you save money, just make sure you do not buy something just because you have a coupon.
15. Avoid Kitchen Gadgets. You will pay a premium on non food items, go to a department store for these type of items.