Baseboard heaters are one type of equipment used to heat rooms in a home. There are two types of baseboard heaters – electrical and hydronic.
Electric baseboard heaters
Electric baseboard heaters heat the house from one room to another and are normally located on the floor beside a wall. These are not expensive, as no ducts are needed but they are not as efficient as a central heating system. These heaters are not efficient in comparison to the centralized heating system. The room is heated by radiating heat out from the heater. Though low in cost, baseboard heaters do take more time to heat a room and it can take up to 1 hour to get a room up to the temperature desired.
Electric baseboard heaters provide heating through electric resistance. The air is heated in the heating unit through cables and then it is pushed out. The cold air enters the heating unit and the hot air is pushed out simultaneously. The heater has a thermostat, which turns the unit off when the air is heated to the desired temperature. When the temperature of the air becomes lower, the unit starts again.
Hydronic baseboard heaters
Hydronic baseboard heaters are also known as hydronic heaters and use a form of central heating. Water or oil, that is sealed in the system, is heated which in turn heats the air. The main value is that the liquid in the system stays heated longer and remains warm long after the thermostat turns the system off.
Some disadvantages of hydronic baseboard heaters are that they cost much more than their electric counterparts, there are fewer options available and, they take longer to get a room to the set temperature.
Advantages of Baseboard Heaters
Some of the benefits of baseboard heaters are as follows
- Due to the zoned system, the user can choose what rooms are to be heated.
- The heaters are able to accommodate families in their rooms at different temperatures.
- It is inexpensive and easy to install.
- No ducts are used in its installation so it is good for old homes also.
- The working of this heating system does not cause any noise.
- These baseboards can be cleaned easily and have a long life.
Disadvantages of Baseboard Heaters
In spite of having so many advantages, there are some disadvantages, which are discussed here.
- If the baseboard depends on electricity, then it can be expensive as it can raise the electricity bills.
- The heaters with inbuilt thermostats can cause inconsistent heating so installing them on the wall is the best option.
- The vent must not be interrupted or obstructed by any item in the home like furniture.
It can be said that if the heating system is used well it can be inexpensive and will provide heat to all the rooms. In this way, people will not be troubled during the winter season. The vents of the heater should be cleaned regularly so that the equipment works perfectly. There is no noise due to which people can sleep easily in their homes.