Are you planning to drive your vehicle for ride-hailing services like Uber, Lyft, Kabu, Whistle or any similar companies?? Wondering what type of insurance you might need?? please read on and feel free to contact us today between 8:30 am to 9 pm.
- Also known as TNS( Transportation network services).
- The companies link drivers with paying passengers who try to book their services through online platforms like websites/Mobile Apps.
- According to ICBC, the companies can apply to the Passenger Transportation Board(PTB) for a license to work in B.C.
- As of September 16, 2019, ICBC Insurance products are at hand for ride-hailing services.
- At least Class 4 commercial driver’s license.
- The driver should be at least 19 years old.
- Driving record check.
- Police record check.
- Ensure Vehicle requirements.
- Child restraint system requirement.
For more information about drivers’ requirements, visit ICBC.
Insurance Needs to ride Uber or Lyft in B.C.
Basic Insurance coverage.
ICBC will set up a blanket insurance certificate to the ride-hailing company but not to the individual drivers. that means it applies basic insurance to both the driver and passenger when the ride-hailing is in use. This insurance is compulsory for all the ride-hailing companies which cover for accident benefits and also up to 1,000,000 third party liability.
To what extent the Basic Insurance works
- Covers both passengers and also the driver.
- When you are en route to pick up the passenger.
- Transporting the passenger to the destination
Optional Blanket coverage
Firstly, check with your ride-hailing company if they have purchased the optional blanket coverage which covers the Collision and Comprehensive when offering the ride-hailing services. If the ride-hailing company has not purchased the optional blanket coverage and if the optional blanket coverage is less than your coverage you may have to append the optional coverage.
Bring the Following to us
- Make sure you know which ride-hailing company you drive for.
- What kind of coverage your company had purchased.
- How many days in total you want to use your vehicle for ride-hailing services. (up to 6 days or over 6 days per month)
At AMC Insurance we shop for the best auto insurance rate for you. Contact us to get a free quote.